Saturday, April 12, 2008

Guest Contributor: Lavender Rain


The World In Black And White . . .


Racism is still alive and thriving - oh not blatantly as it once did, but quietly, humorously, and at times, it runs unobtrusively. Remarks, images and jokes that seem to be nothing to one group, affect another with an all too familiar, devastating sting that evokes deep feelings that don’t disappear or vanish with the turning of a cheek or a change of venue. Do we simply assume that they don’t get it and that we do, or have we merely decided that we bear no responsibility for our forefathers or for the history that we did not write?


I have not lived what many others have experienced; I did not grow up with a family heritage of fear and segregation, or unworthiness. I can only imagine how I might feel if my family roots were in slavery, fear-based in degradation and disposability. We take education and the joy of success for granted. However, not all have had those choices throughout the years. We can blame history and our forefathers. However, the legacy of demeaning others leaves scars lasting throughout ages, on many sides. Humanity does not heal as quickly as the wounds were inflicted. It takes generations to finally believe and trust again, and some will never surpass the wounds, and others continue to hate.


We live under the colorful umbrella of one race, the human race that comes in a variety of colors and ethnicities!


We all bleed red, we all break, and we all come from history, teachings, and concepts that differ, as do our defining moments. We all carry labels, accepted or not. However, we are not all racially profiled or looked at with disdain for simply being who we are. Not all of us have had to live those moments or had to carry the labels of responsibility for an entire group because of others' errors or simply because of our color or ethnicity.


We can rewrite the legacy we leave with caring, compassion and understanding, or we can remain stagnant and angry in this divide. All groups must work towards a common goal of understanding, losing attitudes deeply ingrained by either side or by different religious convictions. It starts with each one of us moving forward in truth and dropping labels. There are wonderful examples of change in each group. Listen and learn from them.


Barack Obama gave a wonderful speech on racism. The transcript can be found here. His understanding of multiculturalism and the scars of racism remind me of a great Canadian - the Late Right Honorable Pierre Elliott Trudeau. He made us believe in ourselves as Canadians and that we can be greater than we imagined if we believed in multiculturalism; and to find peace in all people, even if they are different. We all had the freedom and rights to express ourselves. We learned to dream not an impossible dream but an achievable dream, so in 1982 he signed into law The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms found here. It has been an example used around the world and something that many here have taken to heart - a mantra to live by.


We as individuals all have rights and freedoms to express ourselves. They include gender, color, creed or religion, and we can not discriminate against others. We must be accepting and tolerant of the diversity of others if we are to have a peaceful and “just society” for all.


History shows our errors. Our heroes teach us there is a better way for peace and respect for all. It is up to us to learn and seek change within ourselves, for ourselves and for humanity . . .


We must be the change we wish to see in the worldMahatma Gandhi


copyright © 2008 BDE


lanerain@hotmail.com


Tranquility and Lavender Rain


, , , , , , , ,

6 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

beautifully and intelligently written, Lavender. I am glad I have come here to read, thank you. I have many thoughts - so many. Growing up in a time of much change-I'm 51, many things happened that I was too young to understand their impact, some things I sensed were important but too young to articulate any sense of them. I remember sometimes being told one thing, but then shown another - as in the time I had a black friend, after being told to see "people not color" and then the double message of "see but don't befriend - I didn't mean to befriend!" It went both ways - my black friend was admonished for befriending me...we were just two kids who wanted to play...it was all too difficult, too strange, too much. We didn't remain friends, isn't that sad?

Sometimes I look at my blackfoot indian heritage, which I can't readily see on my white skin, and I wonder at how my great great grandmother entered such a white world and what it meant to her...how she felt...how she would have been treated. Sometimes I think strange thoughts, like- are there wars inside of my skin with indian and german and scottish and english and italian- so many! Sometimes, I think - what would it be like to have one "skin" one heritage, instead of so many stuffed inside this one little body? Sometimes, with shame, I think "I deny my European flesh" - wrong of me...silly of me.

One night I had a dream that I was a black woman, and I do not mean ME with my skin colored black, I was a black woman inside and outside- I was staring in the mirror and I wish i could remember all of my thoughts and feelings, for the dream was years ago - but, what was so terrible was I do remember I was afraid...and I can't remember what I was afraid of - but the waking me had felt this wonder at this dream-

I am rambling - forgive me! This is what good writing does - yes? Calls forth more words and feelings.

Anonymous said...

Barb, words like this give me hope.
Thanks for sharing such an insightful piece.

Kathryn - I know just how you feel!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kat..
Thanks for dropping by your comments express eloquently that
we all have a history and many of us have learned to understand
the lies we were told. It seems so sad to me that America took
so long to get it right here in Canada we do not have the same
history, the same on going shame. I live a couple of miles from
The Walls farm (The under ground Railway) I have had picnics
with the entire clan and WE (not one) feels anything but happiness
to have come or be here, to freedom and be treated with respect,
own property and start a humane life. I can't tell you how
happy we are as our part in history is not that of America!

BE well my friend

Anonymous said...

Blue Phoenix,

Thank you for your kind comments, it was an honor to have been invited!

Anonymous said...

Dear Barb, As a life long fine arts painter and poet I am color blind. The essence of humanity is the diversity, history and cumulative human consciousness that gives more than place to the All. As ever be well. Stephen Craig Rowe

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by Stephen not sure where my last comment went however yes a colorless world is a wonderful world, it is the world of multiculturalism.